Gucci eyewear range extended with eco-collection

Kaycee Enerva

Kaycee Enerva


Italian fashion label Gucci has unveiled a collection of eco-friendly eyewear as part of its ongoing commitment to environmental sustainability. 

The new Gucci eyewear range features two sunglass styles with frames made from 68 per cent bio-based acetate, a durable material made from cotton and wood-pulp fibres, and enriched with mineral glass lenses. The remaining 32 per cent of the material used was not disclosed.

Each pair of sunglasses is designed with bold contours and round edges, finished with the brand’s signature square-shaped frames in classic black and Havana shades, in a sleek mother of pearl-like finish used for the first time on this particular kind of acetate. 

The fashion label first began its move towards sustainability in 2010, using 100 per cent recyclable packaging made from FSC– (forest certified stewardship council) certified paper and has now extended the initiative to its eyewear collections. 

During the past year, Gucci has launched Vernis à Ongles, the brand’s first-ever collection of plant-based nail polish, a sustainable backpack in partnership with 100 Thieves, and introduced an eco-friendly vegan material called Demetra which it uses to make new Gucci sneakers.

The nail polish line achieves the standard of 12-free, an industry code that means it doesn’t contain 12 toxins commonly found in nail polishes, including xylene, ethyl tosylamide, and triphenyl phosphate (TPHP). 

Kaycee Enerva

Kaycee Enerva

A digital content manager based in the Philippines, Kaycee Enerva has written for multiple publications over several years. A graduate of Computer Science, she exchanged a career in IT to pursue her passion for writing. She's slowly practicing sustainability through period cups, and eating more plant-based food.

1 comment


Subscribe – it's free